Updated 3-31-2010@9pm: Please see last paragraph on contributing…
In Boston we had a panel discussion about IF outreach and I’ve decided to take a proactive approach to this subject. Outside of marketing Textfyre, I’d like to help promote IF in general. I think of the things we can do is reach out to libraries. In order to do this, I think we need to drop off a sort IF Promotion Package.
I see the package including:
- The IF Promotionall CD, and if we can get a Mac version, that would be great.
- A Dozen of the IF Help Cards we had at PAX.
- A single printed (color) page of each game on the CD. This would have the cover art, a blurb, and the standard basic help for an IF game. I would try to get approval from each author to finalize their game page.
- An introductory IF newsletter that describes what people need to know in 4 pages about IF, including where to find more information.
- A binder with cover art to bring it all together.
- Possibly a small swag bag to hold it all.
The idea would be to bring a binder or bag to a new library every weekend, pitch IF to the librarian of your choice, and drop off the material.
We could also give the binder to teachers of course, if you find a way to do that.
I’d also like to mention that there is a Middle School convention in Baltimore in the first week of November. Textfyre may have a booth at this convention, but I’m open to having the booth be about Interactive Fiction and having Textfyre just be one of the sponsors and participants. If other people want to join in, I would welcome that.
I think we need to stop talking about outreach and start pounding the pavement. We need to go out and hand the stuff to people that might actually be interested. People that read regularly are very likely to be found in libraries and libraries all have computers these days.
I’m also working on the Follett angle, trying to get IF into school libraries, and I will share my progress as it happens there.
If anyone is interested in helping put all of this material together, please let me know. I have a SharePoint site I can give access to so we can collaborate. I just added an IFWiki Outreach page. Please visit and contribute.